Afternoon Weddings, Evening Receptions

I get a lot of queries from North American brides and grooms about what dress is appropriate for formal weddings that straddle the dividing line between day and evening.  I answer this question in the Guide’s Formal Evening Weddings  page but it’s worth repeating here.

To recap the standard etiquette, if the ceremony and reception take prior to 6:00 PM (give or take an hour) then morning dress is called for.  If both events take place after that time then evening dress is appropriate.

However, when the ceremony is scheduled for the afternoon and the reception for evening then convention dictates that the daytime dress code applies even if it means that morning dress will be worn well into the night. Alternately, the groomsmen can change from morning dress to evening wear between events.  Since wedding guests no longer sport formal day wear in North America invited males may wear the same dark suit to both functions unless “Black Tie” is indicated on the reception invitation.  In that case they too will be required to change into tuxedos before the evening’s festivities.  (Ladies would also be expected to slip into something more formal as it would be déclassé to wear cocktail dresses to a daytime function.)

1. mike

so do you feel it is more acceptable to change into evening wear or stay in day wear?

If there is an opportunity to change then it is always more appropriate to wear evening wear in the evening.

2. Demetri J. Mouratis (@dmourati)

4PM wedding outdoors, 6PM reception indoors, I’m the groom. I like more formal than a lounge suit. Morning dress or black tie? Toss up I’d venture.

What time is sunset on the big day?

3. Demetri J. Mouratis (@dmourati)

6:08 PM

If you truly want a traditional wedding then you can’t justify the wearing of evening dress two hours prior to sunset, particularly in an outdoor setting.

2. Marc

Move your wedding to 5:00. Does that make it close enough to sunset to justify black tie?

5:00 would be much more appropriate for tuxedos (assuming the invitations have not yet been sent!)

4. Alison

I feel that in the name of tradition, if an event is labelled “formal”, day wear should be morning dress and evening wear should be full evening dress(white-tie). If you wear black-tie in the evening, you should wear the “stroller” in the day time. As both are classed as semi formal.

Good point but I think you meant to say that the daytime equivalent of white tie is a morning coat, not morning dress. “Morning dress” is an umbrella category like “evening wear” that includes formal and semi-formal iterations.

5. Alison

I agree that the term “evening wear” is now ambiguous. However, “Morning dress” is the traditional term for formal day wear.

6. Kay Roberts

I have been invited to a noon wedding and a black tie reception beginning at 4pm. Do I need to change into black tie attire after the ceremony? Must I wear a long dress or is a black cocktail dress ok? If it states BLACK TIE on the invite does my husband have to wear a TUX?

Yes, you will need to change into black-tie attire after the ceremony as wearing it during the day would not be appropriate. (The bride & groom are obviously unaware of this rule considering their request for guests to don evening wear at 4:00 in the afternoon.) You can find the definition of the Black Tie dress code on my main web site here and information on appropriate ladies’ attire here.

7. Sp0ngebob

Searched all day for an answer as to when you should change from Morning Dress to Evening wear, finally came across your website. Thanks for finally answering my question.

1. Peter Marshall (Post author)

Glad I could help!

8. Katherine

We are attending a wedding on Easter weekend in Beaufort, sc. The ceremony is at 5pm and the invitation says semi-formal or beach formal. Should this be a dark suit for men or would a tan linen suit work? Thanks!

1. Peter Marshall (Post author)

My apologies – I thought I had answered your question earlier. Any dress code that includes the word “beach” is distinctly informal so you’re free to wear whatever colour of suit you choose.

1. Katherine

Many thanks for the reply! We are going with the tan linen suit!

9. Jocelyn

I’m slow so let me get this straight

Wedding at 3 pm

Reception at 6pm

We need to change clothes in the the United States from Morning Dress to Formal?

1. Peter Marshall (Post author)

First off, let’s clarify the term “formal”. It does not simply mean a tuxedo. It is a category of clothing that has different components for daytime events – which call for morning dress – and for evening events – which call for evening dress. Furthermore, there are two levels of formality for both times of day. This is all spelled out in great detail in The Black Tie Guide but to summarize very briefly, the most formal type of morning dress requires a morning coat (a type of tailcoat) and the less formal type requires a stroller (a type of suit jacket). For evening dress, the most formal version is an evening tailcoat (aka white tie) and the less formal version is the tuxedo (aka black tie).

As I mention in the above post, you have two options for your evening reception: keep wearing the formal daytime clothes or change into the equivalent evening clothes. By “equivalent” I mean that a morning coat during the day would be traded for a tailcoat in the evening, while a stroller during the day would be switched to a tuxedo in the evening.

If you choose to simply wear a suit for the daytime ceremony (which is perfectly fine), you would also wear the suit for the reception.

10. Ellen

Church ceremony at 2:30 pm, Reception at 5 PM.

Invite specifies that the attire for both the mass and the reception is black tie. Is it then expected that tuxedo/evening gown are the appropriate attire for both the mass and the reception? It seems inappropriate to wear my formal dress into church at 2:30 PM. Can my guest and I wear morning dress to the church and then make a quick change into our black tie evening attire before the reception?

Thanks!
    Ellen

11. Peter Marshall (Post author)

Yes, it is inappropriate to wear a formal dress or tuxedo in broad daylight but I think it’s more important to respect the wishes of the bride and groom than to make a point of being correct.