2012 Emmys Red Carpet

(Getty Images)

Well-dressed men were few and far between at this year’s Emmys, making their Black Tie finery shine all the more.

Host Jimmy Kimmel, one of only a handful of men with the foresight to wear a waist covering. (Getty Images)

Satirist Stephen Colbert (Getty Images)

Jim Parsons from “Big Bang Theory” (Getty Images)

Jon Hamm in Giorgio Armani (Getty Images)

Ty Burrell of “Modern Family” (Getty Images)

Late night host Jimmy Fallon (also seen at top of page) exudes Rat Pack swank in his Lanvin tuxedo. (FameFlynet Pictures)

In between the good and the bad were some interesting variations on the classic tuxedo.

Aziz Ansari of “Parks and Recreation” (Getty Images)

Winner of Outstanding Leader Actor, Bryan Cranston of “Breaking Bad” (Getty Images)

Then there was the banal majority clad primarily in (ridiculously skinny) long ties and poorly fitting suits.

“Breaking Bad”‘s Aaron Paul demonstrates why low-waisted trouser cuts are meant for jeans, not suits. (Getty Images)

Actor Adam Driver’s oversized jacket was in good company on the red carpet. (Getty Images)

Carson Daily exaggerated his giant jacket with miniature lapels and tie (which he couldn’t even bother to knot properly). (Getty Images)

“Games of Thrones” co-creator David Benioff models another take on  unkempt formality. (Getty Images)

Kevin Costner just seems to have completely given up.  (Getty Images)

Is it me or is Tom Berenger wearing a rental tuxedo?  (Getty Images)

________________________________________

Postscript

February 20, 2104

For some more great examples of the good and the bad at the 2012 Emmys see the red-carpet review at The Fine Young Gentleman.

1. CAGuy

Even Kimmel looked ridiculous, with the concave shoulders on his tuxedo. And Berenger? Whether it was rented or not, his mixing of black tie and white tie was terrible. With all of their handlers and stylists, I can’t believe nobody was outfitted in a classic black tie tux–peak lapel, waistcoat and proper black tie.

2. John Van Wyk

At least the ladies look great! Why don’t more male celebrities follow the Black Tie Guide’s advice?

I arrived at the conclusion that ladies have style both in casual and formal, even in proms you can see full dress ballgown. Most of men wear terrible. Perhaps because there is a stupid idea that a man who cares to dress well is effeminate.

3. A. R.

The industry obsession with the pedestrian flap pocket seems to have ruined most of the better dinner jackets (including Mr. Burrell’s outstanding Midnight Blue ensemble).

4. socialbeverageguy

Tom Berenger loo like he’s about to drop his pants!

5. jovantheun1337

The flap pockets ALONE aren’t that big a deal to me (you’ll note that many examples from the late 19th and early 20th century have flap pockets or notch lapels), it’s the /combination/ of elements that breaks it.

The more you add two (or more!) buttons, vents, five button waistcoats, notch lapels, neckties, etc., the more you take away the very appeal of black tie and may as well be wearing a black business suit. At that point, that’s all it resembles — a black business suit with silk facings.

Jimmy Kimmel has slimmed down quite a bit, I noticed. Good for him.

6. John HP

What I don’t understand is why there aren’t better stylists for the men. Surely there are plenty of able professionals willing to work with A-list celebrities in Hollywood?

7. jovantheun1337

John HP: Sadly, being a stylist hardly makes one a qualified expert about classic menswear. Any one of us could do their job much better than they do, even within the constraints of using fashion brands (Tom Ford makes classic dinner suits for example). The majority of stylists are people who don’t really know much about fit or proportion, much less what goes together. They just know what’s fashionable.

8. Kate

Very well said, Jovantheun1337! The vast majority of people who call themselves stylists, are incapable of defining the difference between fashion and style. Oh yes, they can indeed tell you about the latest fashion and most expensive designers, but they cannot tell you about style, what colours go together, and what best suits a person and the occasion. In addition, most stylists are women, and they simply do not know anything about men’s clothing – and this is coming from a woman. Although some also don’t know anything about women’s clothing. That green sack dress above looks abysmal.

1. jovantheun1337

Agreed. With respect to your sex, I’m not sure why some women believe that, by virtue of being women, that they also know everything about menswear. A friend of mine, for example, is having the groomsmen wear a very ugly grey tuxedo with coral waistcoats and ties. She quickly dismissed every single alternative I proposed (including BLACK tuxedos because it’s a night wedding), even though she asked my opinion. I was very short of saying, “Listen, menswear is not your area of expertise. Stop acting like it is just because you’re planning a wedding.” The thing is, do you see any men trying to determine what women wear, besides people like Clinton Kelly who actually have expertise?

I should find out how to be a stylist for weddings or celebrities. I bet I could make a killing!

1. Kate

Coral waistcoats? Shudder!! I am terribly sorry that your friend is making you suffer in such an outfit. My sister-in-law made her male wedding party members wear pale blue, high-cut polyester waistcoats, long matching ties, and horribly cheap-looking dinner suits. As she does not have great taste in either men’s or women’s clothing, I was not overly surprised to have to wear an ugly pale blue polyester dress. Fortunately, I was able to change out of it after the ceremony, and my lucky husband was able to wear his own dinner clothes, which made him look far better than the groom and the bridal party. It was truly a sartorial disaster, and the marriage did not fare much better, as it resulted in divorce after only 18 months.

I think American culture simply assumes that knowing and caring about clothes and style is an innately feminine trait, whilst “real” men (oh how I loathe that phrase) don’t care about clothes. The UK still has a formal clothes-conscious upper class and we have our monarchy, a piece of living history, which serves as guidance and inspiration. Tailoring is
        seen as a manly profession by many (there are plenty of chavs who couldn’t care less), and there are more opportunities for dressing formally.

I also blame the wedding industry, which makes women believe that this is the biggest, most important day of their lives, and that everything should revolve around the bride. It is a way of compensating for the lack of glamour and elegance in everyday life by fulfilling some twisted and rather childish princess-fantasy. For many women, high school prom and their wedding will be the only times in their lives where they get to wear a fancy gown, and if you only have that one shot as an adult, well, you will probably want what somebody else tells you you must have, since you lack the frame of reference to know how it is really done.

Wedding blogs and fora provide wonderful sociological and psychological insights into the minds of brides, and they also explain the compulsive desire to be formal in a mainstream manner, whilst maintaining that we are oh so unique by having a different colour and floral theme than the previous bride. I am frankly a bit surprised at the lack of research done in this area, and am genuinely wondering if I should look into this as a serious academic endeavour.

1. jovantheun1337

Kate, you are clearly someone of good intellect and gaste! I agree with all of that. I actually warned the bride-to-be about places like David’s Bridal and how the industry works, but sadly she got sucked in anyway. Wouldn’t even heard a compromise from me like classic black dinner suits and coral ties or something. What’s more, renting all this costs a third of how much my recent suit purchase cost. Then again, this is the same person who is spending $150 per person on catering and getting a horse and carriage rented for every bridesmaid. She is going overboard. I just never thought she’d turn into a bridezilla!

I will support you in that endeavour.

I’ll definitely see what I can do. First I’ll have to get a portfolio started.

2. Kate

P.S. I am sure you’d be a millionaire before the year is out, if you managed to get your foot in the door as a stylist to the rich and (in)famous.