2013 Academy Awards Red Carpet

(Entertainment Weekly)

The Oscars may trump the Golden Globes when it comes to prestige but this year they were the sartorial runner up thanks to the predominance of the informal two-button notch lapel tuxedo jacket.  Even host Seth MacFarlane wore one, contrary to the publicity photo shown above.

Otherwise, red-carpet trends continued to be largely the same as recent Oscar ceremonies:

• styling remained very conservative overall
  • bow ties still outnumbered long ties
  • shirts with undecorated fronts and turndown collars continued to be the norm
  • exposed shirt waists were still all too common

Best of the Best

(Pascal Le Segretain / Getty Images)

Upcoming “Lone Ranger” star Armie Hammer in a Tom Ford shawl collar. (Pascal Le Segretain / Getty Images)

(Axelle / Bauer-Griffin)

Actor Justin Theroux (with fiancée Jennifer Aniston) in Salvatore Ferragamo.  Theroux was one of many to wear a waistcoat including . . .  (Axelle / Bauer-Griffin)

(Pascal Le Segretain / Getty Images)

. . .  Jon Hamm in another Salvatore Ferragamo . . . (Pascal Le Segretain / Getty Images)

(Yahoo!)

. . . and Bradley Cooper in Tom Ford.  Other formally vested stars included Channing Tatum and Ben Affleck.  (Yahoo!)

(Yahoo!)

“Star Trek”‘s Chris Pine wore a double-breasted Ermenegildo Zegna . . . (Yahoo!)

(FameFlynet Pictures)

. . .  while Hugh Jackman’s DB was by Tom Ford. (FameFlynet Pictures)

(Axelle / Bauer-Griffin)

Best supporting actor Christoph Waltz wore midnight-blue Prada.  (Axelle / Bauer-Griffin)

(Yahoo!)

Best actor Daniel Day Lewis chose Domenico Vacca and a brighter shade of blue for his ensemble.  (Yahoo!)

(Pascal Le Segretain / Getty Images)

“Identity Thief” actor Jason Bateman in Ermenegildo Zegna.  (Pascal Le Segretain / Getty Images)

Special Mention

(Frederick M. Brown / Getty)

“Glee”‘s Matthew Morrison in a silk white dinner jacket with velvet formal slippers.  (Frederick M. Brown / Getty)

(Jamie McCarthy / Getty)

Exception to the Rule: Guide Hall-of-Famer “True Blood” star Ryan Kwanten somehow manages to make the two-button notched lapel jacket look elegant.  (Jamie McCarthy / Getty)

(FameFlynet Pictures)

Credit where credit is due:  The previous poster boy for the sophomoric long tie look Keith Urban has finally decided to dress like a grown up.  (FameFlynet Pictures)

The Not-So-Great

(Frederick M. Brown / Getty Images)

Peter Facinelli’s getup fell short of the mark in many ways. (Frederick M. Brown / Getty Images)

The gaffes were they are the same as we’ve seen for a number of years now so there’s not much point in illustrating them all again.  Quentin Tarantino was once again an unkempt mess, John Travolta was once again a black-on-black undertaker and George Clooney once gain proudly exposed his uncovered waist and sagging trousers.  Also, a number of jackets were much too fitted to be flattering and/or had lapels that were comically narrow (Tom Hooper, Stephen Spielberg, Orlando Bloom) and a smattering of men were oblivious to the well-deserved extinction of the modern wing collar (Peter Facinelli, Josh Hartnett).

1. GRH

I’m a little disappointed by the number of notched lapels and black shirts. Is this really going to become a thing?

1. Jesse MacLeod

Totally agree. I kept asking myself, ‘what stylist is to blame for this weird trend of notch-lapels?’

Also I’m not sure if anyone else noticed, but host Seth switched jackets 3/4 of the way through the program. He went from a two-button notch lapel to a single button shawl lapel (with a cummerbund too!). I was happy to see the unexplained change.

2. David V

3. John

I was glad to see that the straight tie trend seems to be dying out.

1. Jesse MacLeod

By ‘straight-tie’ do you mean the long necktie, or a straight ended bowtie?

1. John

I was referring to the long necktie – I actually like the Jet Age / Early James Bond feel of the straight ended bow tie.

1. Jesse MacLeod

Ah I see, and also agree. I recently bought a Bond-esque straight-ended bow tie for my Black Tie ensemble and have been absolutely loving it.

4. Cygnus

I’m certain that a few decades from now people will look back on the “black on black” look with the same derision currently held for the powder-blue tuxedo.

Sadly, I don’t think formal notch lapels will be making an exit any time soon.

5. Adam Williamson

“Exception to the Rule: Guide Hall-of-Famer “True Blood” star Ryan Kwanten somehow manages to make the two-button notched lapel jacket look elegant.”

Are you sure? It looks like he ran it through the washer, to me.

6. Jesse MacLeod

Ben Affleck’s outfit was interesting but not for the right reasons. Did anyone else notice the bizarre shirt collar? It was like a turn-down/wing hybrid. His bowtie was also annoyingly loose-looking. Here’s a shot I found:

1. John

Affleck’s tie reminded me of the style that was frequently worn by Abraham Lincoln.

Yes, I noticed Affleck’s strange wing collar with covered bowtie band. It’s odd.

I agree that the loose, wide through the knot, bowtie look was a bit odd too. I’m not sure how I feel about it. It reminds me a bit of the Duke of Windsor’s style of bow tie – which had a very thick body to it.

I can’t say that I think Ryan Kwanten pulled off the look he was going for – unless it was a creased and pulling jacket and trouser combination.

Jon Hamm looks a little uncomfortable – perhaps his tight fitting suit is restricting his breathing? Does he have velvet collar facings on his dinner jacket? It is striking, certainly.

Jon Hamm, Bradley Cooper and Ben Affleck all wore waistcoats but – sadly – they all seemed to come too high, for me at least. Justin Thereaux got it right.

8. A. R

The dinner suit worn by Justin Theroux has to be one of the best examples of semi-formal wear I have ever seen at an award show. Very, very impressive.

9. omschiefslr

I have to give “Best” to Hugh Jackman. The double breasted, shawl collared dinner jacket is tailored so beautifully. I also agree with Peter, the ivory dinner jacket and velvet slippers are classy on Matt Morrison. Too bad the DJ is tailored too long in the sleves. He almost nailed the outfit. I also love the black studs in both the aforementioned outfits. They really complete the ensembles. I thought Jon Hamm’s outfit was overdone. The Velvet DJ collar and waistcoat seem to mix awkwardly.

10. bob478328

Hugh Jackman always looks the part, but I agree that Justin Theroux smashed it this time.

11. Ken Rusnak

Daniel Day Lewis and Hugh Jackman both made an immediate (positive) impression on me, though Jackman mostly because everyone else on stage during the Les Miz number looked like a nineteen year old in his fourteen year old brother’s suit.

12. jovantheun1337

I like that double breasted is coming back, though personally I’d rather choose a 4×1 than a 6×2 on a dinner jacket. Seems more in keeping with the low fastening tradition of it.