2014 BAFTA Red Carpet

David Gandy 2014 Baftas_crop

I always look forward to the BAFTAs for the uniquely sophisticated elegance the British bring to black-tie fashions.  Sure enough, despite the fact that Americans seemingly outnumbered locals on the red carpet this past Sunday, it was three Englishmen that made my best dressed list.   The shortlisting process was actually an easy one this year thanks to the vast majority of men disqualifying themselves by choosing to expose their shirt waist.

Eddie Redmayne in Gucci.  (Jeff Spicer / Alpha Press)

Eddie Redmayne in Gucci.
(Jeff Spicer / Alpha Press)

British model David Gandy in Dolce & Gabana. (Dave J. Hogan / Getty Images)

British model David Gandy in Dolce & Gabana. (Dave J. Hogan / Getty Images)

Romeo and Juliet star Douglas Booth in Tom Ford.  (David M. Benett/Getty Images)

Romeo and Juliet star Douglas Booth in Tom Ford. (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

As for everyone else, here’s a selection of the Good, the Bland, and the Ugly . . .

The Good

British Rapper Tinie Tempah in Burberry.  (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

British Rapper Tinie Tempah in Burberry. (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

Bradley Cooper in Alexander McQueen. (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

Bradley Cooper in Alexander McQueen. (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

Martin Scorsese, a perennially dapper black-tie dresser that I have neglected too often in past reviews. (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

Martin Scorsese in Armani.  Scorsese is a perennially dapper black-tie dresser that I have neglected too often in past reviews. (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

Tom Hanks.  I have to say I'm not a fan of this oversized floppy butterfly bow tie that's been popping up on celebs as of late.  (Wire Image)

I have to say I’m not a fan of Tom Hanks’ oversized floppy butterfly bow tie that’s been popping up on other celebs too as of late. (Wire Image)

We're the Millers star Will Poulter.  (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

We’re the Millers star Will Poulter. (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

12 years a slave star Chiwetel Ejiofar wearing Mr. Start.  (Dave J. Hogan / Getty Images)

12 Years a Slave star
Chiwetel Ejiofar wearing Mr. Start. (Dave J. Hogan / Getty Images)

Sigh, even HRH has succumbed to the bare waist trend, atlthough it's barely noticeable as he still has the common sense not to wear his trousers down around his hips.  (AP Images)

(AP Images)

There are number of interesting things to point out about Prince William’s ensemble.  First off, he has sadly succumbed to the bare waist trend.  He also appears to be wearing a regular button shirt.  On the up side, his slimmer fitting single-breasted suit makes him look a lot younger than his usual loose-fitting double-breasted version.  Yet he is wise enough to avoid the modern vogue for low-riding dress pants thus minimizing the chance of his shirt waist peeking out below his jacket button.  (Interestingly, HRH is rarely if ever photographed with his hands in his pockets unlike typical celebrities.)  The plain black Albert slippers are also a smart touch.

The Bland

Hunger Games actor Sam Claflin in Burberry.  (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

Hunger Games actor Sam Claflin in a glorified business suit by Burberry. (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

Welsh actor Luke Evans with cloth-top shoes wearing Dior Homme. (Chris Jackson / Getty Images)

Welsh actor Luke Evans in Dior Homme.  His cloth-top shoes are interesting but his choice of shirt shows how today’s wing collars don’t do men any favours. (Chris Jackson / Getty Images)

Leonardo DiCaprio in his go-to suit & tie look, this one by Giorgio Armani. (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

Leonardo DiCaprio in his go-to formal suit & tie look, this one by Giorgio Armani. (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

This conservative three-piece Dolce & Gabbana suit is actually an improvement from Christian Bale's usual attempts to reinvent more formal attire. (Getty Images)

This conservative three-piece Dolce & Gabbana suit is actually an improvement from Christian Bale’s usual attempts to reinvent more formal attire. (Getty Images)

The Ugly

Producer Harvey Weinstein. The man has more money than God yet still manages to look homeless. (David M. Benett / Getty Images)

(David M. Benett / Getty Images)

Brad Pitt used to set the standard for excellent black tie.  Now look at him. ( Jeff Spicer / Alpha Press)

Brad Pitt used to set the standard for black tie. Now look at him. (Jeff Spicer / Alpha Press)

1. Duncan Pike

No Clooney? We can always count on him to look good. Is David Gandy exceptionally tall? His waistcoat is lovely, and his rig seems to fit perfectly, but that really is a lot of shirt; I assume it’s a long torso. I’ve also noticed, in the last few red carpet posts, that the young men, and boys, seem to be holding their own much better than a number of men, many years their senior.

Sadly, Clooney’s taste in formal wear has become distinctly uninspired and even frumpy as of late.

1. Duncan Pike

Yeah… wow. That’s unfortunate. Plus, he and Tom Hanks must be getting their pants hemmed at the same place.

On the hands in pockets,I think the fact that celebrities tend to have no particular interest in proper etiquette, is at fault here. I don’t remember where I learned this, but it is correct to let one’s left hand fall at one’s side, and to carry the right hand at roughly hip height, so it can be more gracefully offered for a hand shake.

1. wdwright77

Mr. Pike hits on the right word-etiquette. It is hardly taught, parents today have no interest in seeing that good manners are taught and thus it is no wonder kids today panic at the sight of a suit and tie let alone a proper tuxedo. It can be remedied: all they have to do is ask someone who may have knowledge on the subject. After all, in the company of a young lady as his date, he should want to not only be dressed right, but move in the right way and thus impress his date by his sophistication. A course in etiquette and manners would be a great addition to the classes a Senior in high school should have to take. And while I’m addressing young men here, I suspect that the young Femme Fatale might also benefit from a class too. The final exam could be the students have to come to school in Black tie, wear it all day and then have a dinner doing all the right things they get taught in order to pass. Then at least one of the life activities would be covered.

1. Duncan Pike

Does passing this exam consist of going to the principal to say: “He has asked us to wear Black Tie during the day! With all due deference, Sir, may I suggest that your faculty have taken leave of theirs?”

2. CharlesM

I can’t say I’d have included Booth in a jacket that looks three sizes too small, made out of – what *is* that fabric?

I recognize that the post is concerned with how they were dressed, but since you used the term “sophisticated elegance”, his two-day growth of beard in itself should have disqualified him. Black tie is really more than just one’s attire.

3. Jovan

I actually don’t mind hands being in pockets, PLEBIAN THAT I AM, but take at least one out if you’re being photographed.

4. Jovan

Also, what happened to Brad Pitt? Is it actually possible that he unlearned all the standards he once set? Yeesh.

1. wdwright77

I don’t know, but he never looked better than he did three years ago sporting the Redford inspired tuxedo and all the proper accessories. Your photo sir, looks like you’ve learned well!

Brad Pitt’s outfit was just odd. It wasn’t helped by the fact he is sporting something of a Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdrome haircut, but the overall impression was that he’d found himself in hire shop that was out of stock and taken the only things in his size. His shirt, which appeared to lack any collar, was particularly poor.

As a result when the host, Stephen Fry, made a gag about having look-a-likes for Brad and Angelina, I wasn’t too sure if he was joking – particularly as he made reference to their clothing.

Stephen Fry himself was looking better than he often did in a dinner jacket that flatters his large frame: vintage inspired shawl lapels (with a wider cut than current fashions tend to) and elegant double-breasted low cut waistcoat.

6. Daniel

Prince William is a military man; they tend to drill you out of putting your hands in your pockets pretty efficiently (along with unpolished shoes, unironed clothing, and jeans in all but the most casual situation, it’s easy to spot an officer out of uniform).

7. wdwright77

In referring to HRH Prince William, I don’t particularly like this tuxedo he is sporting here. The DB version he usually wears always looks smashing and the tux shirt and bow tie are very much in keeping with proper Black Tie. I’m asking who dressed him for this event? They missed everything the suit should be.
    In referecing Brad Pitt: The question is what happened to him? It was always a smartly tied bow tie, a proper shirt with French Cuffs, shirt studs and sparkling white. This is not the Pitt we want to see and it surely brings the “Hollywood” type of formal home to roost. Brad, you always exceeded what was expected, but you’ve stooped so low! Then to top it off, we have Ange Jolie standing by him, without a tux jacket, and an untied bow tie to boot. Brad should have tied it for her, plus where are the shirt studs and the FrenchCuffs? It’s absolutely wrong to look like this at a formal event!
    I will admit that I break rules every now and then, but I also dress in everyone of my tuxedos properly: Proper white tuxedo shirt with French Cuffs, collar depending on the formality of the event going to, a always proper Black Bow Tie and matching cummerbund (or vest should I feel I like a vest); matching set of cuff links and studs, either gold or silver metal or gold cuff links and studs; proper footwear and hosiery. To look at these two examples, shows they were in extreme hurries or they just did not care.
    Guys, if you are wearing a tuxedo, don’t look at it as an exercise in being in a straitjacket; look at it as being in the most comfortable suit you own. Hence the reason that YOU DON’T RENT YOUR DINNER CLOTHES past the age of 18. The key word in that paragraph is the word OWN!
    I never rented a tuxedo in my life! When I started wearing one, it took an argument from me to my parents to convince them the Black tie was necessary. Granted they should have stopped some of my more weirder purchases like the orange one, the sky blue one and the ivory one, but then how else are sartorial mistakes made unless you make them. The main trick is to learn from them an that is why ever since my 22nd birthday, my tux color of choice has been BLACK although Mahogany and Midnight Blue are also in my formal wardrobe. White DJs don’t count as they are a substitute top for the Black Jacket during the summer. In short, I don’t ask, where the heck has this ensemble been and what has happened in it. After all, we all know what an 18 year old boy will do come Prom time, unless of course he is so sweet and innocent he acts like a gentleman should. And I suspect that HE does own his formal clothes.
    So, guys, if you’re in doubt about what to wear formally, pull out the Black Tie Guide and read it. Then tell your tuxedo rental house what should be in that rental if you must go that route. Best advice: Buy one extremely great tux in classic form with all the proper accessories and wear it as long as it fits you, taking care of it all along the way. It’s the best investment in you that you can make!

1. Jovan

I’ve helped a number of friends still in high school by referring them to BTG. They at least know what to rent then.

8. Clate

Do these gentlemen not understand the necessity of proper trouser length? It ruins their entire look, and is more akin to what some youngling high schooler would wear. If someone is going to say that that is how things roll nowadays, then it quite frankly sucks as a look.